Friday, January 21, 2005

Footballers

The town where I work has an unusual institution, a football school. It's hard to find out much about this establishment, but it seems to be a place where promising young footballers go and practice their craft by day and their normal school work in the late afternoons and early evening.

On the train, a group of rather loud young ladies (I use the term losely) glowing with fitness discuss their exploits on the field. Perhaps it's my age, but I can't get used to the way these teenage girls use the jargon of professional footballers; "She dinked it in from about six yards," "I was trying to lay it off but was too slow," etc etc.

Hopefully, women's professional football will become established in Britain and at least some of these gifted young athletes will be able to earn a good living doing what they do best.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home