Monday, April 21, 2008

Tower Bridge



The couple who approached me this morning were clearly tourists, but fortunately they were French and I was able to direct them towards 'London Bridge.'

Of course they meant Tower Bridge the world famous landmark which may well be the most ludicrous structure on the planet.
My walk to and from work takes me over it twice every day.

Before we moved the new office I'd probably walked over it twice in my life.
So far familiarity has bred admiration; it really is the most insane bit of Victorian Gothic architecture ever - a suspension bridge disguised as a grand medieval gateway to London.



I love it's in yer face 'form doesn't follow function' design ethos; it makes even the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado seem an epitome of practical industrial design.
From a distance, the bridge's medieval disguise just about works, but close up you're very aware of what a massive piece of mad engineering it really is. Is there any plant in the country capable of making pieces of cast iron this big?

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I think its rather beautiful....and my taste is impeccable. And yes, I did have to check that using spell check on word!

11:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home